Dear RVIS Community,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on the survey we sent last week. Our reopening teams are hard at work to ensure a successful and smooth start to the school year. In this email, we will share an overview of our reopening plans. Next week, principals will follow with detailed division specific and grade level information, and you will be asked to make a decision about whether your child will begin in the hybrid or virtual model.
We will host a Virtual Q&A Session on Sunday, August 16 at 2:00 p.m on Google MEET. We invite your continued feedback and questions on this document, and we will address these questions in the meeting.
Phased Reopening Plans
- We will be operating an Alternating Day Hybrid Model (on campus and virtual)
- Students will be assigned to Pod A or Pod B or may choose to remain fully virtual
- Pod A will meet on campus Sundays and Wednesdays
- Pod B will meet on campus on Mondays and Thursdays
- Fully Virtual will be provided a schedule as per their division and grade level
- Our reopening schedule is based on our IGNITE Rotations, and we will revisit plans and make shifts based on these rotations.
- IGNITE Rotation 1: September 1 – October 8
- IGNITE Rotation 2: October 11 – December 3
- Families will be asked to choose the Hybrid or Virtual option; families who choose to remain virtual for Rotation 1 may change to Hybrid for Rotation 2
- IGNITE Day will be fully virtual for Rotation 1
- Secondary students will engage in synchronous IGNITE Seminars and Advisory Meetings and asynchronous Connections and House activities
- Elementary students will engage in synchronous and asynchronous homeroom IGNITE units and additional activities such as virtual assemblies and electives
Reopening Schedule & Calendar
- Our school day timings will be 8:30 - 2:30 (adjusted timings for EC)
- No learning time will be lost, and time will be recouped from lunch and recess as we cannot offer the robust activities we usually provide. Please be assured that teachers will offer frequent breaks in the classroom to allow for needed movement and collaboration.
- The first day of school is September 1; however, the first week of school will be Virtual. During the week of September 1-3, please expect
- Virtual School Assemblies
- Individual Family Meetings with Advisors (SS) and Homeroom Teachers (ES)
- Synchronous and asynchronous class meetings, with asynchronous work provided
- While most of our students will be virtual in the first week of school, the following grades will attend school
- Grade 11 and 12 will attend full day; Pod A on Wednesday, September 2 and Pod B on Thursday, September 3
- Grade 6 will attend half-day; Pod A on Wednesday, September 2 and Pod B on Thursday, September 3
- Prior to the start of school, we will share our Community Agreements for online learning and on-campus health and safety;
- So that we can ensure the continued learning and welfare of all, students and parents will be asked to adhere to our agreements.
Health and Safety
- Masks will be required for all staff and students in grades 1-12
- Masks or visors are acceptable for students in the Early Childhood
- We will provide supervised mask breaks in pods
- Food Services
- Students will be expected to bring a refillable water bottle, snack and lunch from home during Rotation 1
- There will be no food services on campus during Rotation 1
- Students will eat with their designated pod
- Daily Health Check
- Each student will be provided a Health Card to be worn to school each day
- Families will take the temperature of each child and note it on the health card prior to school
- Temperature checks will be taken again during the school day
- Further guidelines will be shared regarding health and wellness
- Transportation will follow a low-density, physical distancing model
We are confident that our plans will maximize learning, wellbeing, health and safety. However, as we have all learned during this pandemic, we continue to honor the need for agility and flexibility. Our plans are intended to provide clarity and will continue to evolve as we receive updated guidelines from the COVID-19 Task Force, the MOH and the MOE.
We hope to see you at our Q&A Session on Sunday, August 16 at 2:00 p.m on Google MEET.
Yours in service,
The Leadership Team